Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Our American Heroes

I just wanted to write about something that I hold near and dear to my heart in this post. There are thousands of Americans fighting for our freedom in different parts of the world right now. I get upset when I see my beloved left wing radical liberals attacking our brave men and women who are serving our country. My Grandpa fought in World War II. He was in the battle of the bulge. He served his country bravely. He was really my dad, because he raised me along with my grandma and mom. He was my hero, and will always be. Part of the reason he ended up raising me is because of the problems my dad had after he served in the Army in the Vietnam war. I dont have much of a relationship with my father, because I never met him until I was 16. We have had an on again off again relationship since then. But, despite it all, I respect him for what he did for his country. Some people dont understand the amazing sacrifice that these people make. Some come back without limbs, and terrible injuries. Some have been disfigured, burned, and some may look fine on the outside, but they are emotionally torn apart by what they saw, and the battles that they were in and deal with it every day for the rest of their lives. And of course, some pay the ultimate price in death. I recently went with my wife to the Marine Corp ball in Cincinatti, Ohio. It was a great experience to see the pride on these young men and women's faces, and to see how much they love their country. My brother in law, Jay, is a United States Marine. He already put in his 4 years, and then re-enlisted. We kid around, and he gives me a hard time a lot, but I think the world of him because he serves our country, and is a great man. I worry about him possibly having to go to Iraq, but I know that is why he signed up, to defend his country. I appreciate everyone man and woman who serves in every branch of our armed forces. When I see a person in uniform back here in the states, I try to make it a point to go and shake their hand and thank them for their service. You can tell that they appreciate it very much, so next time you see someone in uniform, stop and talk to them, or at least tell them thank you. It is because of them, and the men and women who served before them that we are able to live in a great country and be free.

2 comments:

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

Well said, and another great post. Like you, I have a great deal of respect for Jay, and Chew, as well as your grandfather and both of my grandfathers who fought in WWII.

But as a guy who tends to lean left, I have to take issue with this....
"left wing radical liberals attacking our brave men and women who are serving our country"

Maybe you're talking about a sect of radicals that I'm not aware of, who actually are verbally assaulting our service men and women, and if so, I'd like to see a link to some of this bashing so I can be as shocked and angered as you. Though I'm more liberal than conservative, I'm not a radical, so maybe I'm meant to be excluded from this group.

But if that's a blanket statement for liberals in general, I must say this... I think that opposing the war is too often equated with "not supporting our troops," which is ludicrous. Just because I don't understand why we're in Iraq, and because I think our President is a blooming moron, does not mean I don't appreciate everything our armed forces do every day to ensure our freedom. They can't help where they're sent, they can only do their best every day to try to make a difference and to survive. It's our leaders who should do a better job of choosing their battles, and our troops should never be attacked for their mistakes...and I believe most liberals would echo that sentiment.