Friday, November 30, 2007

The Great Ethanol Debate?

So, is Ethanol really the answer to gasoline? This is a big question. One idea of this site is I want to spark some good debate on things. I myself do not think it is the entire answer to the oil problem. One thing is for sure. Oil won't last forever, and quite frankly with the state of the american consumer, we are not going to be able to keep affording it. Now the big thing is cars that run on E-85 fuel (chevy in particular). Yipee. Let me first say that I am a chevy man. However, as I have gotten older, I have learned to not believe everything I see, hear, or read. I think it is great that we have come up with this ability to run this fuel, however, the first time I saw a gas station that sold E-85 I was taken aback. I thought, "Now how can this be? This can't be right...........This crap is just as expensive as regular 87 octane gasoline!"

So what is the point? What the hell does it matter if it runs on E-85. It doesn't. They just want you to feel better because you are running a flex Fuel. I mean, seriously people. Have we come to the point that we are so stupid? I am going to put some links at the end of this for you to read about the pro's and con's of Ethanol and let you make the decision for yourself. I can tell you one thing though. I may seriously become a farmer soon. Also, if you are a smart investor, invest in all the non oil related energy commodities that you can right now because in 5 years, it will have made you a ton of money (but I dont have my stockbrokers license, so I'm not "advising" you to do this.). One other stock tip, invest in ECO FRIENDLY companies as well. We are still on the tip of these, and as you can already tell, it is becoming a popular trend now. Maybe a Fad? I'm not sure. Sorry to get off topic................So to close, I just want to add this- If I were to get the idea that I could run head first into a brick wall and break through it, eventually, after running headlong into that brickwall 30 or 40 times (i have a hard head) I am going to start realizing that the same result is going to happen everytime. I am not going to break through it. I could have just ran into it once, said ouch that hurts, decided that was a real dumb ass idea, and tried something else. However, it seems that our government, and our politicians want to keep running into that wall over and over again on an array of topics including the energy problem. How about we save ourselves some concussions, and put all our heads to better use by figuring out a way to bust through that wall with something other than our heads. Did you follow all that? Or are you too concussed to understand?
http://autos.yahoo.com/green_center-article_46/
http://www.cecarf.org/Programs/Fuels/Fuelfacts/Bio-Fuels%20Facts.html
http://www.wilson.edu/wilson/asp/content.asp?id=1928
http://madisonpeakoil-blog.blogspot.com/2007/04/ethanol-pros-and-cons-debated.html

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

JZ: I like your thoughts. I too think we need to ween our dependence on traditional oil. The biggest issue I see is the Government needs to put mandates on the auto industries to drive fuel efficiency. We have the capability of building 100 mpg vehicles, but we choose not to, knowing consumers will continue to spend more to support the lower mpg vehicles. This has to stop in order to reduce dependence on oil.

Unknown said...

I agree with anonymous. We've seen the automakers advertise that they're making an effort to go green, but when it's cheaper for them not to, and cheaper for the consumer to buy a gas-hog, what is their motivation to speed it along?

From everything I've read about ethanol, it seems (as you hinted) that it's more of a project to find something to do with all the Midwest's surplus corn than it is a long term solution to the energy crisis.

An ethanol plant looks great for the Congressman that brings one to his district - "We're helping the environment!" "New jobs!" "More uses for Indiana corn!" - etc. But if the actual benefits are so few, and the cost remains high, it won't be long before a better solution comes along that will bring ethanol use to an end, leaving those areas in worse economic shape than before.