Saturday, December 15, 2007

Dixon Pennington

I have been meaning to write this post for a while now. Now I have even more reason. My wife's grandfather just passed away this week. I didn't know him really at all, but I share in her pain. When you lose a loved one, it is hard. Even if they have been sick for a long time, and it is for the better, your heart still longs for them. I lost my grandpa in July. He was my dad. I think I have said it on here before. I don't have much of a relationship with my dad. I never met him until I was 15 or 16. I won't bash him on here, I wish him the best. My dad, my father, was Dixon Pennington. He was the Man in my life. I was very fortunate to be raised by my mom, grandma, and grandpa. I had a good upbringing. I learned right from wrong (even though sometimes I still had to be a stupid kid and do bad things that got me in trouble). My grandpa always meant so much to me. I started this site kind of as a tribute to him, though I dont have it mentioned anywhere here on this site. My mother's side of the family's history is Amazing. Between her and my grandma's side, are some of the most amazing, interesting, smart, people I have ever known, and heard stories about. The Pennington family is especially intriguing to me. My grandpa joined the army at age 17 and fought in World War II. He was from humble beginnings. Lived on a small farm in Spencer County. His Dad was a strong willed, faithful man who fought in World War I. His father was Dixon Pennington (who my grandpa was named after) who seemed from what I have learned to be a very charismatic man himself. One important politcal figure in the Pennington Family was my great, great, great, Grandfather Dennis Pennington. He helped bring the state capitol to Indiana when Indiana became a state, and I believe, was the first speaker of the house in the Indiana Congress.

I will always have great memories of my grandpa. He was the most genuine person I have ever known besides my mom and grandma. He was just so kind hearted. He loved God and the lord, and was a great christian leader. Always involved with the church and knew the teaching of the bible very well. His faith always amazed me. He loved me so much. I knew it. Sometimes I would rebel when I was younger, and say things I shouldnt have that made him mad, and I wish to god I could take those things back. When he started his decline in health, I would always tell him it was just in his head, and that he was alright, but he wasnt. I feel terrible about that now. But the fact of the matter is that I was in denial. I couldnt imagine him not being around and I didnt want to face it. I think he knew he was my hero though, and I told him that when we found out that he may not pull through his sickness. I think that meant a lot to him. He is missed by so many, and it doesnt seem possible that it has already been five months since he passed. I wonder sometimes if he knows how much I miss him, and how much I wish he was here. I struggle every single day with it. I know he is in heaven with all of our loved ones who have passed on. I just wish that I could talk to him and hear his voice again. I talk to him everyday like he can hear me, and i think he can. I dream about him a lot and he tells me he is okay and he loves me. It gives me comfort in a sense, but makes me miss him that much more. But one thing is for sure, everything that he taught me did not fall on deaf ears. I am far from perfect, but I will always stand up for what is right, and I will always be a friend to anyone who needs it. I will always help someone out, and I will always have a good heart. I will always love like he did. I will always protect my family and do my best to take care of them. You can count on that. I am the man of the family now, and his were big shoes to fill, but I hope grandpa, that I am doing an alright job so far. Our bond will extend pass the grave, and we will be linked together in spirit through God and Jesus Christ. I look forward to seeing you again in the future, and know that a piece of me left when you left, but it was filled with your wisdom and guidance you taught me. I feel like a man now, and thank you for that. I miss you, and I love you. I'm sure Ill See you in my dreams soon : )

http://obits.courierpress.com/CourierPress/Obituaries.asp?Page=SEARCHRESULTS

No comments: