Monday, December 17, 2007

The Top 5 Gas Stations to Buy Gizzards at!

Okay, so the redneck hillbilly is really going to come out in this post. My wife makes fun of me because I go to the gas station so much. But, the gas station has everything you need. Okay, let me clarify. Convenience stores. That is what they are called right? Her whole family always makes fun of me about it, and before I started to try to eat better, I would get food all the time at the gas station. You know, the real greasy pizza, pizza pockets, egg rolls, cheese sticks, hot dogs, and best of all, Chicken Gizzards. Yes, Chicken Gizzards. The sweet, chewy, fried food of the Gods. Gizzards are like a delicacy in the rural areas of southern Indiana. If you are from New York, or L.A., you are probably saying, "What the heck are chicken gizzards?" Well, my city slicker friend, they are the chewy goodness of the chicken. They are normally fried, but you can buy like a pound of them for 99 cents at the grocery store and do whatever you would like with them. Some people fry them, but if you buy them from the store, you should go and catfish with them. They are good, like chicken livers are, for catching catfish. But the secret of it is, you have to leave them out in the sun for a while and let them start stinking. The smell might kill you, but if you can stand it, and you can stand putting them on a hook, then you may catch a big old catfish. Then you dont have to eat the gizzards, you can fry up some fiddler filets! So, I thought I would make this list for my fellow southern indiana, and other rednecks in other states that enjoy gizzard goodness. I am well educated on the gas stations in a two hour radius of Evansville, so this should be a great list. If you have a place that you think trumps these, please comment and let me know and I will go check it out!

TOP 5 GAS STATION GIZZARD STOPS:
5) Marathon Gas station in Ferdinand, Indiana at the exit for I-64
4) Phillips 66 station in Tell City, Indiana as you come into town
3) Citgo Station as you come into Jasper from Ferdinand at the stop light on the right.
2) Phillips 66 station on highway 41 in Evansville just north of Mt. Pleasant Road
1) The Pantry in Winslow, Indiana. No one can beat their gizzards! Congratulations to you!

So there you go. No, I didn't write this because I could't think of anything better to write about. I wrote it because it is vital knowledge for my fellow gas station gizzard eating brethren to know. Enjoy!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

My intelligence level has dropped after reading this...

Anonymous said...

hey jason, how's it goin up der in indiana? you need to come down here to talladeger and join us for da gizzard eatin contest. it is going to bigger and badder than ever now that i have a new cumpany to market my ampwizer drink fo jun-ya. me and jun-ya's second cuzzins brothers fiance, who is my roomate had a meetin with jun-ya and he is goin to make us rich so we can add on to my two story single wide and get some new 24 inch rims for my old ladys lincoln. it is goin to be so eciting dat you need to bring all yer buddies from up north and party like it is my birthday down here at the track. i will add you to the invite list and save a camp spot in the ditch on the north side of the road for you fellers. this business is going to be so big that i might just pay nascar to let jun-ya win a race this year like i did a few years ago when i took up a collection here in alabammer so all us jun-ya fans could be happy and smile and party like it is my birthday. any way jason, i got to go work on this formula to make it just right. so spread the good word to all your yankee freinds up north. Bubba junior. Go jun-ya "8"